We observe the following ideas in order to reduce environmental impact:
- Everything is thrown in our workshops, throwing is our principle form of making.
- Our clay is supplied, mined and screened locally (30 miles).
- Wherever possible, we aim to sell at venues within a 50 mile radius of the pottery, again trying to reduce our fuel consumption and carbon footprint.
- We never waste any clay scraps or wheel slurry. All is reprocessed and used. Even fired rejects are used in construction projects, or given away as drainage crocking.
- All of our wood is salvaged, and would otherwise have been burnt on building site bonfires, or go into landfill. Wood in landfill rots and produces methane – a really awful greenhouse gas.
- Our kiln is constructed from high quality insulating materials, and designed to be very very fuel efficient.